September 20, 2017

Skin.

We get compared everyday.
Be it the physical being, the brain, or type of shampoos we're using.

As you grow older, most of your views in life, what is happening to you, has changed from what you had in mind before. Stigma and stereotypes have always been a base for us to judge (or not, your choice) of your surroundings. 

Since I was introduced to the first letter of the alphabets, I get compared to my elder brother who was at that time, a bit behind on his academic. I was quick with learning everything new. I was the one who started reading the Quran first during our Quran lessons, although he started a year ahead of me, I shone more academically and in sports when we're both in our primary school. I read more. I was 'more'. I was 'better'. 

Just because I was 'more', doesn't mean I was anything 'better'.
Same goes to physical being, appearance.

Back then during diploma years, I've been blessed with attractive room mates in college. I was the 'betty la fea'. Thus, was always compared between them. Throughout high school, I've never been so conscious on how did I look like back then and I was comfortable with myself. So when I got into college, getting harsh unnecessary comments and compared on my physical being were hurtful, as much as I tried to brush it off. Imagine being told right into your face "kau ni buruk lah!".

And,
just because I was 'less', doesn't mean I was anything 'worst'.
This has slowly sank into my thoughts after I got the taste of real world and how it does not revolve around just a degree scroll and who wore it better.

It is only natural (and irresistible, too) to love beauty and intelligence. We were taught to strive for perfection. We glorify success and we admire what heaven bestowed upon its creations. We crave for the perfect ten. We demand all the nicest around us.

But,
I learn to live with myself. I’ve accepted myself. 
I love the skin I’m in right now.

Comparisons will never stop.
Stigmas will be there, always. 

I don’t necessarily have to be pretty,
I just have to love myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your two cents.